The project's overall objective is to support the development of a “business enabling” environment by updating the approach to Standards and Technical Regulations and Quality Infrastructure and to improve the compatibility between Turkmen Standards and Technical Regulations and international practices, also with the scope of increasing the opportunities for market access for economic operators and the perspective of further alignment of technical regulations to WTO standards.
The purposes of this contract are to support:
- the definition of an overall strategy and related actions plans for the alignment of standards and technical regulations, and the Quality Infrastructure necessary for their implementation with International practices;
- the setting up of a new institutional and management model in the areas of Standardization, Accreditation, Certification/Conformity Assessment and Metrology, in line with and promoting and implementing the use of International and European Standards; and
- Institutional building support to improve the knowledge of Turkmen economic operators and government stakeholders on the role and significance of the EU and international trade policies, international commercial practices and concerned technical regulations, Standards Conformity Assessment, markings and documentation.
Qualifications and skills
- University Degree or equivalent by experience;
- Good communication and coordination skills, fluency in English and good analytical, reporting and computer skills;
- Working command of Russian is an asset;
General professional experience
- Minimum 10 years of relevant professional experience in quality infrastructure projects.
- Minimum 3 years of experience as a team leader involving management of multi-disciplined teams
Specific professional experience
- Minimum 7 years of experience in the organisation of standardisation activities.
- Working experience in a similar project in the NIS region will be an asset.
- Working experience in a EU / international Standardization body will be an asset;
The location of the project will be Ashgabat (Turkmenistan), but project activities will also take place in other regions of Turkmenistan, to which members of the technical assistance team may be required to travel. Activities will also include arranging ad-hoc training abroad (European countries).
The intended commencement date is planned for 01 September 2014 and will be fixed by the EC through an administrative order. The period of implementation of the contract will be 24 months from this date.