The overall objective of the sector reform performance contract of which this contract will be a part is: to contribute to the implementation of the Uzbekistan Agri-Food Development Strategy 2020-2030 and its Roadmap, which aim is to develop a competitive, market and export-oriented Uzbekistan Agri-food Sector that will increase farm incomes, create new jobs, enhance food security and ensure the sustainable use of natural resources. The purpose of this contract is to provide an Agriculture Support and Knowledge Facility (ASK) to assist the Government of Uzbekistan in creating an enabling policy and regulatory environment and strengthening key institutional capacities, in particular agri-food advisory services.
He/she will be leading the development of the institutional structures, systems and capacity building for the Agriculture Knowledge and Innovation System and support services, linking with relevant central and local institutions and stakeholders, identifying priority needs and requirements, monitoring all technical inputs and ensuring the timely delivery of quality outputs.
Qualifications and skills:
- Masters’ degree in the field of agricultural economics, agriculture or closely related relevant subject, or as an equivalent a Bachelor’s degree and 2 years more general professional experience in excess of the minimum 10 years (as defined below);
- Excellent command of written and spoken English;
- Russian and/or Uzbek language skills would be an asset;
- Proven management and leadership skills;
- Knowledge of Central Asian region, economy, culture and customs would be an advantage
General professional experience;
- Minimum 10 years of professional experience in the development of agriculture knowledge and innovation systems, with a particular focus on farm and/or agri-business advisory services in development and/or transition countries;
- Experienced adviser, trainer and mentor in the development of integrated AKIS structures and systems and client focused advisory services.
Specific professional experience
- Experience in the public or private sector or in donor funded projects in at least 1, and preferably more, in the area of management and implementation of AKIS and/or advisory services;
- Specific experience in at least 1 project which focused upon on setting up/strengthening AKIS/ advisor service systems involving certification and accreditation of providers of advisory services and improvement of training programmes to support adviser networks;
- Experience of management of local expert teams and short-term expertise;
- Experience in establishment and/or development of producer groups and/or cooperatives (and related support services) would be an asset;
- Practical experience of working in the former CIS and/or other relevant transition countries in similar projects.
The main operational base of the project will be the Ministry of Agriculture, Tashkent, Uzbekistan. However, for activities related to technical support and capacity development for other Ministries, public bodies and local public services, presence in those locations and in the field may be required.
The intended indicative start date is 1st November 2020 and the period of implementation of the contract will be 40 months from this date.