The specific objective of the project is to enhance the development of Tajik agri-food value chains, thecompetitiveness of agri-food enterprises and the quality and marketing of their products. In order to achieve the specific objective, a value chain approach will be used. The core of the adopted strategy is to support thelocal and international investments for farm, processor, input and service supply levels. These investments combined with the technical assistance for farmers, processors, input and services providers will lead to thedevelopment of agri-food value chains with their high-level technology and access to local and international markets. Special attention will be given to ensure that the smallholders will benefit from the implementation ofthe project. This will be achieved by the introduction of specific safeguards, the participation of smallholders' representatives in the selection process and through visibility activities, which will ensure they are well awareof the possibilities offered by the project. Furthermore, the creation of export cooperatives will be supportedto enable smallholders to export directly their products.
The expected results are as follows:
1. new and existing local agricultural extension service (AES) providers advise and support farmers in farm management, technical issues, innovation, new investments and cooperation, including farmers' associations;
2. selected machinery service providers deliver machinery services needed by small farmers to produce raw materials inadequate volume and quality, and in a timely manner;
3. local consulting service providers advise and assist local agribusiness enterprises and processors in technical, management and marketing issues;
4. investments in agriculture and agribusiness are supported;
5. a public-private partnership-based food quality control and certification system is established according to international standards for selected food items and is promoted to farmers and processors;
6. selected Tajik food products are branded and their image promoted through public-private partnership
Qualifications and skills
- University degree (minimum level: Master of Sciences or equivalent) in agriculture, rural development, agricultural economics or relevant directly related discipline, or at least 10 years of equivalent experience;
- Good command of English, both spoken and written;
- Knowledge of Russian and/or Tajik is an asset;
General professional experience
- At least 5 years of experience in the design, monitoring, review and/or implementation of agriculture projects, out of which at least 2 years of experience in development cooperation in low and middle income countries;
Specific professional experience
- At least 2 years of experience in the design and implementation of agricultural advisory services;
- At least 1 year experience in capacity building of advisory service providers;
- Experience in delivering Technical Assistance to the agriculture sector in EECCA countries (Eastern Europe, Caucasus, and Central Asia) will be an asset;
- Experience with EU funded projects will be an asset.
All experts must be independent and free from conflicts of interest in the responsibilities they take on.
The intended start date is 1 April 2014 and the period of implementation of the contract will be 60 months from this date.