The purpose of this project is to implement a research and training component at the intersection of two interventions:
- the project “Promotion of Employment and Occupational Integration in Rural Areas” (Promotion de l’Emploi et de l’Insertion Rurale en Mauritanie, PELIMIR) funded by the German Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ); and
- the programme “Institutional Strengthening in Mauritania for Agro-Pastoral Resilience” (Renforcement Institutionnel en Mauritanie vers la Résilience Agro-Pastorale, RIMRAP) which was designed by the European Union.
Overall, this programme component supports the institutional strengthening of agro-pastoral research and training institutes in the pilot regions of Guidimakha, Assaba, Hodh el Gharbi, and Hodh el Charki in southern Mauritania. It supports the two research institutes CNRADA (in Kaédi) and CNERV (in Nouakchott) as well as the three higher education and training institutes ENFVA (in Kaédi), CFPET (in Boghé), and ISET (in Rosso) in their institutional development as well as in the planning and roll-out of research and training programmes for the benefit of local agro-pastoralists.
A. Analysis of the existing research and training systems
- SWOT analysis; analysis of training needs; analysis of skills
B. Planning and implementation of a modular training programme for agro-pastoralists
- Definition of a farmer-led research programme; development and implementation of training programmes for agro-pastoralists; trainings of trainers in innovation dissemination, trainings in decentralized natural resource management
C. Institutional strengthening of selected research and training institutes
- Support to the acquisition of new equipment; preparation of organizational development plans; facilitation of institutional linkages; strengthening of service provision capabilities
D. Support to national and international cooperation structures
- Organization of international study tours; twinning and peer learning arrangements
E. Capitalisation and dissemination of experience